Phantom Faith: I am a Christian; Part 1
Intro: I am a Christian – the early church definition…
1. Four Evidences that You are a Christian: Do You Fellowship with God? (4 Keys)
A. You enjoy fellowship with Jesus/God (1:2-4)
1. Fellowship with Jesus described: Intimacy – Gal2:20
*Remember Jesus’ example with Father – Mark1:32-25
2. Fellowship with Jesus experienced: Jn10:10; 14:21; 15:10; Phil3:10; Matt4:19
*Abundant means full; *Love Christ and His Word*Power of resurrection in my life; *Fellowship of suffering for Jesus; *Walking with Jesus means I care about the lost
3. Ministry of the Holy Spirit is evident – Acts1:8; 1Jn2:27
*Power as a witness for Christ; Growing in understanding God’s Word; Convicted over sin
B. You are sensitive to sin (1:5-10)
1. It is not we NEVER sin; Example – Consuming Fire Fellowship…
2. When we sin, we go to One – Jesus our Advocate (1Jn2:1-2)
3. There is sensitivity to sin, we hate it, we battle (Rom.7:14-24; Gal.5:16-25 –espvs16,24)
*Notice Paul’s sensitivity and hatred with sin; see the battle AND power of Holy Spirit
*Gal5:24 – crucified flesh; it is dying, grasping for breath, fighting to stay alive…
4. Decreasing pattern of sin in your life – not sinless but sin lessand less (1Jn3:4-10)
C. You strive to obey God’s Word (2:3-6)
1. Is there a pattern of obedience to God’s Word in your life?
2. Is God’s Word your foundation in life, the truth by which you live?
3. Do you love God’s Word? (Ps1 – your delight and meditation?)
4. Loving Jesus is loving God’s Word (Jn14:21; 15:10)
D. You love other Christians (2:9-10)
1. You should want to be around God’s people and care about them (the church!)
2. If you love God, you will love God’s people (1Jn4:19-21)
2. Is There Evidence That You are a Christian?
A. These are not commands to do, but evidence of the life of God in you. (2Corinthians13:5)
*Example: How do you know an apple tree when you see it?
B. Remembering the 2 Towers – September 11, 2001
1. What would you say to those who worked there on Sept10th, if you knew their fate?
2. What do we say to people today, knowing 150,000 people die every day in the world?
3. Do we say, God has a wonderful plan for your life? Or, do we warn them of impending danger and their desperate need for Christ? That is what I am trying to do here today…
4. Read the passages of today again and let God tell you where you stand with Him!
*If you know now, you fail the test, then repent and call out in faith to Christ right where you are, as I pray, then come tell me of what Christ has done in you!